Relevance ranks synonyms and suggests the best matches based on how closely a synonym’s sense matches the sense you selected.
Complexity sorts synonyms based on their difficulty. Adjust it higher to choose from words that are more complex.
Length ranks your synonyms based on character count.
Common words appear frequently in written and spoken language across many genres from radio to academic journals.
Informal words should be reserved for casual, colloquial communication.
Concept Thesaurus for word unintelligibility
Synonyms - noun
- mystification (concealment)
- riddle, enigma, puzzle (secret)
- perplexity (confusion)
- diagnus vindice nodus
- pons asinorum
Synonyms - verbs
- be unintelligible
- render unintelligible
- perplex (bewilder)
- not be able to account for
- see through a glass darkly (ignorance)
- require explanation
- not understand
- not know what to make of
- not be able to make either head or tail of
- not understand one another
- have a doubtful meaning
- be able to make nothing of
- be at sea (uncertain)
- play at cross purposes (misinterpret)
Synonyms - adjectives
- seen through a mist
- undiscernible (invisible)
- enigmatic, enigmatical, puzzling (secret)
Roget's 21st Century Thesaurus, Third Edition Copyright © 2013 by the Philip Lief Group.Cite This Source